The intervention has 3 study arms:
- S-RTI: Standard ED counseling session + 5 post-ED remote therapy sessions
- AI-RTI: An adaptive artificial intelligence (AI) supported RTI package that optimizes therapeutic intensity using reinforcement learning. Participants are assigned to varying therapy conditions based on their risk status each week. Therapies in this arm include:
- 30-minute telephone-based remote therapy session;
- Automated electronic tailored therapy (chatbot); or,
- Assessment only without intervention (i.e., none)
- Standard care
Randomization is stratified by age (14-17; 18-20) and sex.